George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George celebrating his birthday on location in Italy
George awarded French knighthood for contributions to french culture? EmptyToday at 02:07 by annemariew

»  George filming new film in UK
George awarded French knighthood for contributions to french culture? EmptySat 11 May 2024, 01:04 by annemariew

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
George awarded French knighthood for contributions to french culture? EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:41 by annemariew

» George and Amal speaking at the Skoll Foundation conference in Oxford today
George awarded French knighthood for contributions to french culture? EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:37 by annemariew

» George in IF
George awarded French knighthood for contributions to french culture? EmptyFri 12 Apr 2024, 18:44 by party animal - not!

» Amal announces new law degree sponsorship
George awarded French knighthood for contributions to french culture? EmptyFri 05 Apr 2024, 01:51 by annemariew

» George's new project The Department - a series
George awarded French knighthood for contributions to french culture? EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

»  Back in the UK
George awarded French knighthood for contributions to french culture? EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
George awarded French knighthood for contributions to french culture? EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

George awarded French knighthood for contributions to french culture?

5 posters

Go down

George awarded French knighthood for contributions to french culture? Empty George awarded French knighthood for contributions to french culture?

Post by Katiedot Thu 28 Apr 2011, 13:12

Anyone know any more about this?

From Berkshire Eagle

Good day for a new knight

By David Pepose, Berkshire Eagle Staff,

Updated: 28 April 2011

WILLIAMSTOWN -- Richard Rand of Williamstown has been many things over the years -- a curator, a scholar, a citizen of the world.

But how many can say they’re an honorary knight? That honor became a reality on Wednesday, when Rand was inducted into the French Order of Arts and Letters as chevalier, or in English, knight.

"I was very honored and a little embarrassed," Rand said, after receiving his award from Christophe Guilhou, the Consul General of France in Boston. "I hold it with pride, but I wondered if I was worthy of such an honor. One doesn’t usually reflect on a life’s achievement, especially at this age."

Of course, this chevalier’s honor was not for prowess on the battlefield, but instead for his contributions to French culture. Other Americans honored with this award include Paul Auster, Ornette Coleman and George Clooney.

Born in 1961 as the son of a diplomat, Rand moved to France when he was 4 years old, quickly developing a passion for French culture and art.

That love of art, combined with his scholarly pursuits, led Rand to the Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute in 1997 as a guest curator. He quickly became a permanent curator at the museum, becoming an "ambassador of the Clark" to other institutions around the world, said the Clark’s director, Michael Conforti.

Among Rand’s work included the French Regional & American Museum Exchange, or FRAME, which

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Advertisement

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
allowed 24 museums in both countries to share their resources.
Describing FRAME as "one of the best catalysts of cultural exchange between France and the United States," Guilhou pinned the Order’s silver medallion upon Rand’s chest. "We are greatful for your intellect and scholarly energy, and your love of French culture," Guilhou said.

With his friends and family around him, Rand said that he was overwhelmed by the honor, and said that he was happy not just to be recognized, but joked that people could now start calling him "Sir."

Asked the secret of his success, Rand urged people to "love what you do, and develop strong relationships with people. In the museum world, that goes a long way toward success."

Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

George awarded French knighthood for contributions to french culture? Empty Re: George awarded French knighthood for contributions to french culture?

Post by laetval Thu 28 Apr 2011, 13:41

It was in 2007 : Link

Christine Albanel, our Minister of Culture, presented Sunday at Deauville the insignia of Chevalier of Arts and Letters to the actor and director George Clooney. She hailed George Clooney "the quintessential American actor" and praised his "immeasurable talent" and "irresistible charm. "

George Clooney has responded by thanking France for its role in the Darfur crisis, in which he was personally committed to civilian casualties. See Nicolas Sarkozy and Bernard Kouchner work together, it would be like the United States see George Bush and Jimmy Carter work together, it would be impossible, "he said

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
laetval
laetval
Clooney maximus fantasticus

Back to top Go down

George awarded French knighthood for contributions to french culture? Empty Re: George awarded French knighthood for contributions to french culture?

Post by lucy Thu 28 Apr 2011, 14:26

I remember it was after VFF, he went to France With SL, I think this award kinda got lost due to all the media-hype about his new GF, this was before anyone knew who she was.
lucy
lucy
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by bellybaby Fri 29 Apr 2011, 13:23

Wow, never heard this. I'm a little disappointed that he didn't dress a little better....a tie would have been nice...he looks like he just one first place for a science fair project....

bellybaby
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by lucy Fri 29 Apr 2011, 14:00

For some reason I think of this time of his life as his sleaze phase! Don't ask me why then and not some other year, only explanation is during this time of his life my blinders came off.
lucy
lucy
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by playfuldeb Sun 01 May 2011, 07:10

Tha last pic is great. He looks genuinely humble there.
playfuldeb
playfuldeb
Clooneyfied!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down