George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George celebrating his birthday on location in Italy
George Clooney says he doesn't believe in God - Page 3 EmptyToday at 10:30 by party animal - not!

»  George filming new film in UK
George Clooney says he doesn't believe in God - Page 3 EmptyYesterday at 01:04 by annemariew

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
George Clooney says he doesn't believe in God - Page 3 EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:41 by annemariew

» George and Amal speaking at the Skoll Foundation conference in Oxford today
George Clooney says he doesn't believe in God - Page 3 EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:37 by annemariew

» George in IF
George Clooney says he doesn't believe in God - Page 3 EmptyFri 12 Apr 2024, 18:44 by party animal - not!

» Amal announces new law degree sponsorship
George Clooney says he doesn't believe in God - Page 3 EmptyFri 05 Apr 2024, 01:51 by annemariew

» George's new project The Department - a series
George Clooney says he doesn't believe in God - Page 3 EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

»  Back in the UK
George Clooney says he doesn't believe in God - Page 3 EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
George Clooney says he doesn't believe in God - Page 3 EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

George Clooney says he doesn't believe in God

+38
mosaic
LizzyNY
ktsue2002
Nanvelvet
phys major
hathaross
Atalante
Rachel
NotAvailable
pandabear
Carolina Gal
marysunshine
Way2Old4Dis
What Would He Say
Pari
LornaDoone
Missa
Love hides in his hair.
annemarie
Mazy
Butterfly
Nicky80
Lakin460
Joanna
fava
lelacorb
it's me
silly girl
melbert
party animal - not!
Picachu
theminis
playfuldeb
Boshkash
Maggy
Carla97
Katiedot
42 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

George Clooney says he doesn't believe in God - Page 3 Empty Re: George Clooney says he doesn't believe in God

Post by Mazy Fri 13 Dec 2013, 04:48

There was a quote from way back that said, "There are no atheists in foxholes."
Mazy
Mazy
Achieving total Clooney-dom

Back to top Go down

George Clooney says he doesn't believe in God - Page 3 Empty Re: George Clooney says he doesn't believe in God

Post by Missa Fri 13 Dec 2013, 12:22

Well, this is a fascinating discussion to watch unfold. It's very interesting to see, up close, people who equate being a good person with believing in (a Christian) God try to reconcile someone who we all know to be a generous, kind doer of good works saying he doesn't believe. While George has certainly been known to give, let's call them "half-truths", in interviews when it suits him, I can't imagine any benefits to him by admitting his atheism. Seem like he just told the truth.

To paraphrase one of my favorite sayings on the subject, believing that going to church makes you a good person is like believing that standing in your garage makes you a car.  Smile 
Missa
Missa
Clooney-love. And they said it wouldn't last

Back to top Go down

Post by ktsue2002 Fri 13 Dec 2013, 15:06

I stand by my statement. There are no true atheists. People may be upset at God and view the world is imperfect and blame him for it. However, I still think when it is all said and done, people do believe in God. Even George Clooney.
ktsue2002
ktsue2002
Clooney-phile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mazy Fri 13 Dec 2013, 15:58

ktsue2002 wrote:I stand by my statement. There are no true atheists. People may be upset at God and view the world is imperfect and blame him for it. However, I still think when it is all said and done, people do believe in God.  Even George Clooney.

It if fine for us to guess what our George Believes, however when it comes down to it, it's not important. He is who he is no matter what and that's good enough for me.
Mazy
Mazy

Back to top Go down

Post by LornaDoone Fri 13 Dec 2013, 17:36

I believe he told the truth.  George is getting to an age (and I've been there myself) where you no longer give a damn what people think - it's more important to just tell the truth and let the chips fall where they may.  

Everyone else's expectations must get irritating.  Trying to cater to this person or that group just becomes inane.

We're all marching to the end of our lives - some need to feel there is a singular being who is responsible for all of this - and some choose not to believe.

At the end of the day, it's how we treat each other here that matters - regardless of what we believe.
LornaDoone
LornaDoone

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Fri 13 Dec 2013, 19:42

I think George would agree completely with LornaDoone's statement that it's how we treat others here that matters.He is acutely aware that he leads (in many ways, but not all) a very priveledged life compared to most of the rest of the world, and he always says his success is a result of LUCK and hard work.
His generosity and humanitarian efforts probably do stem from the religious training he received as a child, but the inequality and hardship he has seen since then could well have led him to believe that there is no benevolent God, but rather, a random world where each of us has a responsibility to do what we can to make the world a better place.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by theminis Fri 13 Dec 2013, 21:07

Ditto Lizzy very well said.
theminis
theminis

Back to top Go down

Post by Way2Old4Dis Fri 13 Dec 2013, 22:46

I am going to be the Philosophy 101 asshole nitpicker here, and point out that not believing in something is not the same as denying its existence. In other words, consider, "Yeah, there is/might be a God, but his/her power isn't all it's cracked up to be so I don't believe in him/her."

Not to argue theological bents or interpretations with anyone. I'm simply pointing out the technicality, which might be used in interpreting GC's simple answer.

I, for one, don't see any reason to do anything other than take the man at his word. If that word should change, I'd probably take that, too. I've had some periods of questioning myself. But either way, and notwithstanding his religious position, George is one of the good humans, who does his part for the world, and I suspect that any God there is would be quite pleased with him.

Way2Old4Dis
Mastering the tao of Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Way2Old4Dis Fri 13 Dec 2013, 22:51

... And I'll add that it may take a more giving heart and spiritual soul to do good when not 'believing,' than it does when the concept of 'God' is a given.

Way2Old4Dis

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Fri 13 Dec 2013, 23:03

Thanks, Theminis. I may be reading my beliefs into his, but I find it hard to reconcile belief in a loving God with all the misery and unhappiness we visit upon one another. Especially when so many "believers" insist we must believe what they believe, the way they believe or else!

When I was younger, I was on vacation in Florida and there was a youth group from a fundamentalist Baptist church staying in the same hotel. Sitting around the pool one night we started talking about religion. My personal belief at the time was that any path you take to God is valid. This left one of the Baptist girls in tears, as she felt I was wrong and doomed to burn in hell for eternity unless I accepted the doctrines of her church. When I suggested that she might be the one who was wrong, she freaked out. It had never occurred to her that there could be another point of view and the idea shook her faith.

Over time my opinion has changed a bit. I find it harder to believe, but I have not given up. I still feel that it doesn't matter what path you take if your belief gives you the strength to live the best life you can. I think George does this, and Way2Old got it right!
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by hathaross Fri 13 Dec 2013, 23:20

THANKS LizzyNY !!!! Give Flowers2 It what I´m saying!!

What, you guys that believe in God, why don´t you accept that as God may exist, may not...

I respect, as many "non-believers", that God may exist or not.... nobody knows, although some of you told the opposite.

If you are a believer, you should accept the ideas of others.... right? not be hypocrites. I'm not saying it does not exist, but I think that you have to accept that it may not exist in the same way that it may. And you dont´t...

I need an explanation, really, because I don´t get that so closed minded behavior in the century we are. 
hathaross
hathaross
More than a little bit enthusiastic about Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Fri 13 Dec 2013, 23:51

I, too, don't understand how anyone can be so certain that their way is the only way to believe. Especially when you consider that many people are brought up in "the faith of their fathers", but if they had been born to different parents, or in a different place, their beliefs might have been completely different. Would they then be wrong? Who knows what the truth is? We have no proof, so must go by faith - or lack of faith - as the case may be. All we can do is live the best life we can and allow others to do the same, no matter what they believe.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by What Would He Say Sat 14 Dec 2013, 00:35

Well, here we go .... GOD, in all his incarnation's....

To be honest God has a lot in common with Santa Claus, in reverse... you see...

SANTA CLAUS, No matter how much you know, you totally buy it's a fairy tale, it's for kids, it's total utter crap .... STILL IN THE DEAD OF NIGHT CHRISTMAS EVE, YOU LOOK UP AT THE SKY, AND FOR A NANO SECOND...YOU BELIEVE .... EVERY YEAR....

GOD, on the other hand you know, you totally believe, you could write a book on personal faith, and things that have happened to you that can only be explained by a higher power, you are in AWE ..... YET AT SOME POINT FOR A NANO SECOND YOUR FAITH LEAVES YOU, YOU CEASE TO BELIEVE.....EVERY NOW AND THEN.....

SOZ G (BIG ONE, NOT REGULAR ONE).... Thumbs up!

btw, can I say how impressed I am with God's grasp of the internet,  probably there eons before us, still RESPECT.
What Would He Say
What Would He Say

Back to top Go down

Post by Mazy Sat 14 Dec 2013, 03:28

When I lived in Florida awhile back I had a great priest. He always starting mass by greeting anyone there of a different faith or location. Saying that all were welcomed to join us. One day one of the other ladies asked him if people that didn't believe the same as we do would go to "heaven." He was surprised and said it only matters how you try to live your life and not what religion you were born into.
Mazy
Mazy

Back to top Go down

Post by LornaDoone Sat 14 Dec 2013, 04:00

And the gal who burst into tears for me is an example of that type of person who was indoctrinated to the point that any other religion was demonized.  I don't get that point of view.

When someone comes to my door and tells me I won't be "saved" or that I'll be damned to hell for not believing in what THEY are espousing I just look at them and shake me head and frankly feel sorry for them.

That they are so blinded about wanting to be "right" that they don't see their actions -- trying to make someone either fearful or feel bad because the person doesn't believe the same as them - are about as ungodlike as you can get.
LornaDoone
LornaDoone

Back to top Go down

Post by playfuldeb Sat 14 Dec 2013, 04:26

Is this thread about whether or not George believes in God or if We belive in God?
playfuldeb
playfuldeb
Clooneyfied!

Back to top Go down

Post by Missa Sat 14 Dec 2013, 14:47

Since George has stated unequivocally that he doesn't believe in God, I think that question's been settled.
Missa
Missa

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Sat 14 Dec 2013, 17:26

My guess is that for many people, possibly including George, whether or not they believe in God depends on when you ask them. Good days, bad days, ups and downs - all influence us. And since we have no proof....
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by theminis Sun 15 Dec 2013, 00:24

LornaDoone wrote:And the gal who burst into tears for me is an example of that type of person who was indoctrinated to the point that any other religion was demonized.  I don't get that point of view.

When someone comes to my door and tells me I won't be "saved" or that I'll be damned to hell for not believing in what THEY are espousing I just look at them and shake me head and frankly feel sorry for them.

That they are so blinded about wanting to be "right" that they don't see their actions -- trying to make someone either fearful or feel bad because the person doesn't believe the same as them - are about as ungodlike as you can get.

Ditto

I get a lot of Christians coming to my front door and its my fault as at first I didn't turn them away. The last time (last month) I told them, do you really think that the God you believe in wants you knocking on families doors spreading fear with your words and information you leave here. My children are standing here right now listening to you tell them that they wont be welcome in Heaven - are you serious?? Please don't come back again as I do not want my children listening nor reading the information you leave here. I teach them that God knows whats in all our hearts so to make sure that you keep yours full of love compassion and kindness for others and everything else will fall into place. Perhaps a bit simplistic but age appropriate for them.
theminis
theminis

Back to top Go down

Post by theminis Sun 15 Dec 2013, 00:25

Missa wrote:Since George has stated unequivocally that he doesn't believe in God, I think that question's been settled.

That's exactly right Missa
theminis
theminis

Back to top Go down

Post by playfuldeb Sun 15 Dec 2013, 01:03

ok, then, if we are going to talk about whether or not We believe, I will ask some questions. Now that I know that this thread isnt just about George's viewpoint, as clearly stated by those who are allowed to post their beliefs here, above in this post.

Keeping in mind that Christmas is based on the birth of Christ/Jesus, and that giving presents is symbolic of the Three Wise Men.
To those who dont believe,
Do you go to families houses on Christmas eve or Day? Why? Why would you celebrate a holiday that you dont believe in?

Do you exchange presents? If you dont believe in Jesus, then the gifts from the Wise Men should mean nothing to you

If you do not work on Christmas Day, due to your company being closed, do you expect holiday pay? For a holiday you dont believe in? If a Jewish company is closed for a holiday, and I'm not Jewish, and I have to work that day at my job, I dont get paid more for working a holiday of another religion. So why do people think they should get bonus pay for a holiday they dont believe in?

Do you put up a Christmas tree? Do you decorate your house? Why?

And if non-believers say Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas, could you please tell me what the "holiday" is that you are celebrating?

Isnt it hypocritical to celebrate Christmas if you dont believe in it?
playfuldeb
playfuldeb
Clooneyfied!

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Sun 15 Dec 2013, 01:16

To Missa and Theminis - In the context from which it was taken I don't think the statement was unequivocal at all. It may be what he believes, it may have been a joke, or it may have been what he was feeling at the moment he filled out the questionnaire. Who knows? IMO we still don't really know what he believes.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by What Would He Say Sun 15 Dec 2013, 01:43

In one, of the many equally interesting religions, however, this is the one I was dragged up in ....they have a thing they wait for .... "The Second Coming"

And I, in my infantile mind, have always had an affection for this notion.

I've always imagined that one day a child will be born who is gene neutral, or whatever ... just totally not black, not white, not asian, not Christian, not Jew, not Muslim, not Hindi, not Parsi, not Buddhist  .... just absolutely a bit of the lot of us ...and he/she will be That Second Coming ....

And believe that if you want to hope for anything, this is a thing worth hoping for... believe in nothing, or not...

I've always thought this song, more or less, says the same thing...well I fancy it does...

What Would He Say
What Would He Say

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Sun 15 Dec 2013, 02:01

WWHS - I love the sentiment of your song. I just wonder, if there is to be a "second coming" ( in Judaism they call it the messiah), then what the heck is he waiting for? We could sure use someone like that now!
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by What Would He Say Sun 15 Dec 2013, 02:16

We all have to "mate like mad" across oceans and inter religions ... so it's up to us to produce THE COFFEE COLOURED BABY.....

On this point Mr G Clooney, for once in his life ....has decided to sit this dance out....but he does his bit in soo many other ways... I love you
What Would He Say
What Would He Say

Back to top Go down

Post by ... Sun 15 Dec 2013, 10:47

Well, the melting pot is stirring a lot for this last century or two. Especially in new world nations like Brazil, US, etc.

Anyway, I think there are common themes in most main religions, whether Christianity, Judaism, Buddhism, even Islam (despite its extremism towards women).  

There are common core moral values to learn about heightened awareness, behavior and consideration from all mainstream religions. All have a common denominator: an omnipotent force we call God.
(Except for polytheistic religions like Hinduism who still have a deity hierarchy with one being the dominant. Collectively one power.)

Any interpretation can be derived.
Atheists usually believe in evolution and science alone.

But an analytical mind would be open to all possibilities when there is no solid proof. Not of God, nor of the Big Bang theory.
Or combination of both can be derived.

Maybe George was being ambiguous or elusive in his answer because it's a personal issue.  He followed his answer with a confusing, semi-joking retort. Open to interpretation... I dunno 
That way he won't offend the religious zealots, identify with atheism nor be defined as such in the media.
He may not wish to share his beliefs.

@playfulDeb - symbolism. That's why many people celebrate the festive season. Whether they believe in the Bible verbatim or just this time of the year being so peaceful. A New Year beginning... A reflection on the one that passed.
Some regard the Bible or (its prequel), the Torah, & other religions as stories or fairytales. But they still believe in a power - God.

In pagan times, the equivalent of Christmas & Easter were celebrations of Winter solstice & Spring.  Mainstream religions may have included these festivities with their own teachings.
Look at the parallels: Hanukah & Christmas. Passover & Easter. Then you can even notice it in other religions.

Whatever George believes is his personal choice and to be respected. Everyone is entitled to that.

Human history is marked by thousands of years of persecution because of religions,  which defies the purpose of spiritual enlightenment in the first place.

Last edited by Ocean on Sun 15 Dec 2013, 13:32; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : elaborated about pagan traditions.)

Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Sun 15 Dec 2013, 12:17

It's making very interesting reading here with so many views and thoughts.
I believe that if someone is searching for a truth or answers to spiritual questions then sitting quietly with the Bible and reading through the New Testament can do no harm. The modern version is particularly easy to read and absorb, just like reading any book.
But sometimes an inner voice or strong feeling deep in one's gut/instinct/soul can occur while reading the words. It's an exciting adventure and nothing can be lost by having a go !
Joanna
Joanna
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by Boshkash Sun 15 Dec 2013, 13:26

Maybe he is not convinced by Christianity, maybe he should read about Islam, which the logical, and final religion..

Boshkash
Clooney Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Atalante Sun 15 Dec 2013, 14:58

lol! With all the women he has dated, that's going to be some hell of a stoning, ...
Atalante
Atalante

Back to top Go down

Post by Atalante Sun 15 Dec 2013, 15:00

what would he say wrote:In one, of the many equally interesting religions, however, this is the one I was dragged up in ....they have a thing they wait for .... "The Second Coming"

And I, in my infantile mind, have always had an affection for this notion.

I've always imagined that one day a child will be born who is gene neutral, or whatever ... just totally not black, not white, not asian, not Christian, not Jew, not Muslim, not Hindi, not Parsi, not Buddhist  .... just absolutely a bit of the lot of us ...and he/she will be That Second Coming ....

And believe that if you want to hope for anything, this is a thing worth hoping for... believe in nothing, or not...

I've always thought this song, more or less, says the same thing...well I fancy it does...

The indians say that all the male idiots should listen to their grandmothers, the real caretakers of the earth !  Twisted Evil 
Atalante
Atalante

Back to top Go down

Post by LornaDoone Sun 15 Dec 2013, 15:14

Boshkash wrote:Maybe he is not convinced by Christianity, maybe he should read about Islam, which the logical, and final religion..

First, George said noting about Christianity.  All he said is that he did not believe in God.  

As this is your opinion and belief I will only say thinking like this, no matter from which religion it comes is fine as long as that thought doesn't morph into a reason to persecute and vilify others for not believing the same as you.

Extremism stems from taking a statement, making it an absolute statement and then acting negatively toward others who do not agree with your belief.

John Lennon had a very popular song (which by the way I can't stand due to it's sing song repeitive and IMO unimaginative melody) about how the world would be better and more peaceful if there were no religion.

And I again state that religion is not the issue, it's the extreme behavior  that absolute statements can foster that is the problem.

If we could all agree to believe as we wish but not force others or expect others to believe the same was the theme of his song.  And he felt that would bring the world peace.
LornaDoone
LornaDoone

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Sun 15 Dec 2013, 16:20

"John Lennon had a very popular song (which by the way I can't stand due to it's sing song repeitive and IMO unimaginative melody) about how the world would be better and more peaceful if there were no religion.

And I again state that religion is not the issue, it's the extreme behavior that absolute statements can foster that is the problem.

If we could all agree to believe as we wish but not force others or expect others to believe the same was the theme of his song. And he felt that would bring the world peace."

LornaDoone
Clooney-looney!

Yes Lorna, Lennon's "Imagine" has profound thoughts
running through it.

Personally, I don't think "religion" has anything to do with Christianity.
But that's probably a topic worthy of discussion
elsewhere ?

Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Sun 15 Dec 2013, 17:30

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
melbert
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by NotAvailable Mon 16 Dec 2013, 02:57

With religions, the main thread that runs tru most, is the peaceful way to behave with one another. But most men who live in a regime, strongly controlling, or non democratic country, their thoughts seem to run counter to peace. They will desperately hunt up things in their religions that support their personal take on being a war monger. Other less uncivil governments, the dominators, men, will use hard to understand things in some text of a religion, to do their misdeeds.

But mostly what I see, running thru all of it, is it doesn't seem that it was actually intended totally for peace, but that was the prevalent wish for humanity. It seems to be that being a people was a choice, as to how you would deal with others.

But some of these religions have remastered their texts to match their desire. That's the way many are. To me, if you are truly at peace within, it will be reflected in your behavior with others.

Thats just an opinion and tho I have done much observing of other things, I am by no means an expert. I see evil as evil, good as good and some ppl are often placed in the middle by not being a participant in either, good or evil. But life to me, can have its ways of forcing a confrontation sooner or later, where choices have to be made. You will decide to choose an evil choice or a good choice at some point. The chance that you wouldn't ever have to decide on either, is like 1 in a 100, maybe even less today...

To be back on topic, I think George doesn't struggle with it. he knows how to do things right and tries to his best to do whats before him in as right a way as he can. And one doesn't need a religion to understand right from wrong. Its simple basics really. Even if everybody in your community were say, all bad, would you let that influence you to be bad too, just because they were? Of course not. Once a society has been a round a while, it develops the morality that religions often encourage, but will struggle with it because brilliant minds at work are often not of any religion, but a free thinker.
NotAvailable
NotAvailable

Back to top Go down

Post by NotAvailable Mon 16 Dec 2013, 03:07

And to be truthful, I think Jesus was on of those type. yes, I do think the man existed. What actually happened, who knows? We only have certain texts that subscribe to what was his teachings, done many centuries after his death...
NotAvailable
NotAvailable

Back to top Go down

Post by mosaic Mon 16 Dec 2013, 15:21

I agree with the thoughts that it's how one behaves rather than walking into a Church.

The hypocrites that go to church every week, but don't act anything like Jesus are probably the biggest reasons that people have turned away from religion, in my view.

I was raised in a way to believe that the only way there could be world peace was if *everyone* was Christian. So, naturally, I wanted everyone to be Christian so the world would know peace. This immature thought matured as I began to earnestly question everything I had been taught and why I believed as I did; and that there was no way that everyone would become Christian and that they had a right to their own beliefs and spiritual path.

For a period, I didn't believe in God. People who claimed to believe were incredibly cruel towards me and that combined with the hypocrisy turned me away.

However, a child of mine was going through very difficult times and I was scared for her. So...I said a prayer sort of like "I don't know if You're up there, but if you are, my little girl is in trouble and needs your help."

I also took a religion class in college that covered Buddhism, Hinduism, and a few others. What blew me away was that with all the talk of how different religions were, I actually discovered that there was a lot in common, too.

"Do unto others as you would have done to you" is in all the major religions. All of them. Islam included.

So if one were to follow just that, there would be no war, no hunger, no poverty, and no polluting the environment (if you make the connections that polluting will hurt or kill people and animals).

mosaic
Clooney Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Mazy Mon 16 Dec 2013, 20:51

Very nicely said Mosaic my opinion also. If you go a little further into the story of creation you will see that most are the same on how things started. Native Americans call it Mother Earth but all have a similar beginning in their stories. Very interesting.
Mazy
Mazy

Back to top Go down

Post by Carla97 Mon 16 Dec 2013, 20:56

One "no" answer has inspired a lot. For all I care he can convert to islam and I´d still like him  Smile 
Carla97
Carla97

Back to top Go down

Post by NotAvailable Tue 17 Dec 2013, 03:04

Its like the old saying, "you can lead a mule to the water trough, but you can't make it drink." And the choice of being good or peaceful, is just that. A choice.

We in our natures, are sometimes argumentative, get excited over things done that don't feel good or right, and have human weaknesses. That said, it is something we have been taught, by long lines of human behavior for centuries. Our behavior is taught. Its when we start thinking, that's when we start to see what isn't all that good to do.

History of repetitive behavior, has long been example and code for us. When some peaceful leaders(having taken thought of it) began to teach a dif way, they most often paid a high price for it. But we the following generations benefited by their risk to life in giving us a better example.

Down thru time, it has become increasingly obvious that deep thinkers began to get smarter over time and we also, began to have aptitude to learn more and understand more. To reason...or not to reason? That is always a choice. We should be glad that somebody did take some time to try and reach our minds...

This is what George does with his more meaningful films. He is a gifted thinker, as well as a film maker, actor and all his skills that are a part of this. He is a free thinker, unbound by societal morals and controls used to attempt maneuvering society.

I think he keeps looking for other free thinker's materials in writing and some older films, to help him find ways to do that. The things he reads...
NotAvailable
NotAvailable

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Tue 17 Dec 2013, 04:11

I agree that George is gifted in many ways, but I'm not so sure he's a "free thinker" so much as he is a man with a very strong moral compass who is supremely talented at using the "system" to promote what he believes to be important.

He speaks often about his belief in the concepts upon which this country was founded - fairness and empowerment for all being at the forefront . Add to that the ideals he inherited from his parents and his natural intelligence, and I think you get the man we see at work in the world.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by mosaic Tue 17 Dec 2013, 14:44

Post by Joanie's Clone Yesterday at 10:04 pm

Its like the old saying, "you can lead a mule to the water trough, but you can't make it drink." And the choice of being good or peaceful, is just that. A choice.

Yep.  Everyone has the capacity to do either good or bad--they make that choice to either feed the dark side or the side of Light.    

That was also a reason for questioning God's existence-- why did bad things happen in the world?  Why did bad people ascend to positions of power?  Why do bad people get away with doing evil things?  

I don't have the answers, but yeah, free will can be used for good or evil.

mosaic
Clooney Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Tue 17 Dec 2013, 20:31

mosaic.....you answered your own query...
it's free will.

Food for Thought....
I always think that it's a shame that God gets the blame for bad/negative/disastrous people or events but hardly ever gets the credit/appreciation/thanks for wonderful people or events.
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by Mazy Tue 17 Dec 2013, 23:32

LizzyNY wrote:I agree that George is gifted in many ways, but I'm not so sure he's a "free thinker" so much as he is a man with a very strong moral compass who is supremely talented at using the "system" to promote what he believes to be important.

He speaks often about his belief in the concepts upon which this country was founded - fairness and empowerment for all being at the forefront . Add to that the ideals he inherited from his parents and his natural intelligence, and I think you get the man we see at work in the world.

I also believe that George has an extremely strong moral compass, there is a right way and a wrong way.

And Joanna you are also right God gets all the blame but none of the credit.
Mazy
Mazy

Back to top Go down

Post by Pari Wed 25 Dec 2013, 13:04

Butterfly wrote:Pari, I truly enjoyed reading your post, thank you so much!!! Give Flowers2 

Thank you Butterfly!!  I love you 

Well Maggy... Smile... thanks for your thanks too  I love you

I enjoyed reading all the thoughts+questions+belief-systems that have followed too...
Pari
Pari

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Fri 27 Jun 2014, 13:11

fava wrote:
Atalante wrote:
An atheist is getting married. That's not a very logical thing to do. clown

What do marriage and atheism have to do with each other?

LizzyNY wrote:a. He's not an atheist, he's an agnostic.
b. Even if he wanted to "slip quietly into the ball and chain" - which I think would be totally NOT George - his friends would never let him. If Amal is truly this wonderful love of his life they'd want to celebrate. If she isn't, they're giving him one last taste of freedom and a reminder of what he's giving up in case he decides to change his mind! Smile

Mazy wrote:
b. Even if he wanted to "slip quietly into the ball and chain" - which I think would be totally NOT George - his friends would never let him. If Amal is truly this wonderful love of his life they'd want to celebrate. If she isn't, they're giving him one last taste of freedom and a reminder of what he's giving up in case he decides to change his mind! Smile
THANK YOU LIZZY FOR THE AGNOSTIC PART. xxx

Katiedot wrote:
Sorry to go off topic, but he's atheist. He said he doesn't believe in God.

--------------------------------------------------

About the ring, that was a prop from one of his films. I always wondered why he used to wear it off set as well; it's not as though he's a character actor and a ring isn't something that you just 'forget' to take off.

LizzyNY wrote:Katie - I kn ow it's off topic, but I had to respond. George is quoted in several places sayin this :

" I don't believe in Heaven or Hell. I DON'T KNOW IF I BELEIVE IN GOD. All I know is that as a individual, I won't allow this life - the only thing I know to exist - to be wasted."

IMO, agnostic.

Katiedot wrote:Yes, but that quote was years ago. In December last year he wrote in an interview that he didn't believe in God. Here's the thread: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

PigPen wrote:In fear of continuing the off topic.. George's religious beliefs are totally his business, whether he stands firm or changes it from time to time. What does it matter? Unless the wedding is at the Vatican1

LizzyNY wrote:Katie - That was his answer to the first question. His answer to the next question was "ASK GOD". At best he seems ambivalent, at worst he's covering all his bases just in case.
The second question was asking him how old he is. He was joking in response to that.
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Fri 27 Jun 2014, 14:17

Katie- I know what the question was, and I know he was joking. BUT he still referred to God, which to me says he's open to the possibility.

It's a point not worth arguing over, as we'll never know what he really believes. If he's like most of us, he probably has days of faith and days of doubt. The fact that he does what he does regardless of what he believes, is enough for me.

Truce? Smile 
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by yuanling Fri 04 Jul 2014, 19:24

Yay!

yuanling
Shy poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Picachu Fri 04 Jul 2014, 20:34

whats the big deal in God anyway, he doesnt exist so who cares if he believes or not
Picachu
Picachu
Clooney-phile

Back to top Go down

Post by LornaDoone Fri 04 Jul 2014, 21:22

Not everyone believes the way you do Picachu but really whatever George believes it's only his business.
LornaDoone
LornaDoone

Back to top Go down

Post by Mazy Sat 05 Jul 2014, 01:09

LornaDoone wrote:Not everyone believes the way you do Picachu but really whatever George believes it's only his business.
  Absolutely only his business and maybe that is why it seems to irk him when asked. That is an extremely personal question unless you are discussing religion. I tend to believe he does but that is my opinion. I feel that he acts like a man that has a faith base and believes in a higher power; all of his convictions of caring for our brothers and sisters goes along with most of the different religions that I know; don't know them all but some. Also I may just prefer to think that he does, if he does/don't I pray for him anyway.
Mazy
Mazy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next