George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George celebrating his birthday on location in Italy
Why doesn't George Clooney get the Taylor Swift treatment? EmptyWed 08 May 2024, 22:11 by Ida

»  George filming new film in UK
Why doesn't George Clooney get the Taylor Swift treatment? EmptyMon 06 May 2024, 22:08 by benex

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
Why doesn't George Clooney get the Taylor Swift treatment? EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:41 by annemariew

» George and Amal speaking at the Skoll Foundation conference in Oxford today
Why doesn't George Clooney get the Taylor Swift treatment? EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:37 by annemariew

» George in IF
Why doesn't George Clooney get the Taylor Swift treatment? EmptyFri 12 Apr 2024, 18:44 by party animal - not!

» Amal announces new law degree sponsorship
Why doesn't George Clooney get the Taylor Swift treatment? EmptyFri 05 Apr 2024, 01:51 by annemariew

» George's new project The Department - a series
Why doesn't George Clooney get the Taylor Swift treatment? EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

»  Back in the UK
Why doesn't George Clooney get the Taylor Swift treatment? EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
Why doesn't George Clooney get the Taylor Swift treatment? EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

Why doesn't George Clooney get the Taylor Swift treatment?

+9
sparkie
Lighterside
silly girl
theminis
Carla97
mosaic
Juliette Hardy
watching
Katiedot
13 posters

Go down

Why doesn't George Clooney get the Taylor Swift treatment? Empty Why doesn't George Clooney get the Taylor Swift treatment?

Post by Katiedot Thu 01 Aug 2013, 11:32

Double standards, no? Anyone think there's anything more to this?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Why doesn't George Clooney get the Taylor Swift treatment?

Chatelaine

By Flannery Dean | Chatelaine – 21 hours ago

Ah, to live the charmed life of George Clooney. The dapper movie star appears to spring, summer, winter and fall much of his time away in his Lake Como villa, only pausing to make another acclaimed film or to charm a giggling entertainment hostess on yet another red carpet.

In the public eye, it appears he can do no wrong, even when it comes to his complex love life. A serial dater, he seems to change girlfriends - all young, lithe and red carpet-ready — every 18 months. His commitment to staying single only adds to his 'Sexiest Man Alive' aura.

And while I don’t begrudge him his exploits or his dashing persona, I do wonder why the same culture that proclaims the perpetual bachelor a love god goes after Taylor Swift for simply behaving like the 20-something she is when it comes to romance.

In contrast to Clooney who’s mystique grows with each notch on his Gucci belt, Swift's carousel-esque love life has made her a tabloid target. Far from increasing her appeal, her short-lived, highly public romances have given her the reputation of a flighty, difficult and temperamental young woman.

Even retailers (via PopSugar) have piled on the young singer. Abercrombie & Fitch made a T-shirt that was adorned with the hashtag "#more boyfriends than T.S.," while another U.S. retailer has made a tank top that lists the last names of all of Swift's former paramours - nine in total.

What seems baffling about the scorn heaped on Swift for her romantic history is how rarely anyone mentions the most obvious factor that influences her behaviour: she is only 24 years old. It seems pretty natural for a young woman to date around during her 20s. And it seems cruel to judge her so harshly for the fact that she’s still trying to find her feet when it comes to love.

If, like Clooney, Swift is still kicking people to the curb into her 50s, then there might be some substance to the idea that she's a fickle drama queen with commitment issues. But for the moment, her behaviour seems entirely age appropriate and retailers’ jibes just seem like an opportunistic exploitation of the selling power of sexism and misogyny.

“T.S.: normal young woman” doesn’t make for a very provocative T-shirt, I guess. That’s too bad. I think it suits her far better.
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Why doesn't George Clooney get the Taylor Swift treatment? Empty Re: Why doesn't George Clooney get the Taylor Swift treatment?

Post by watching Thu 01 Aug 2013, 11:57

Has Taylor ever had a relationship that has lasted George's standard two years?  I would think her longest would be a few months, 4 at best?

She writes songs about the blokes (who are always the ones in the wrong not her) and publicly shames them on her CD's. George doesn't speak about his women in the press.

George knows what he wants - or more importantly doesn't want. Taylor is quoted talking about love in the manner of fairytales, unicorns and happily ever after.

George is having fun and not taking it seriously. Taylor thinks every guy is the one because he held a door for her or said hello to her (as per the lyrics in the songs).

George's career is enhanced by having a woman on his arm at a red carpet event. Taylor's career is built on and about her relationships. I don't think there has been an album since the 1st one where she hasn't had a veiled swipe at one of the famous boyfriends. Wasn't there a VF interview were she wouldn't talk about the boyfriends but she approved someone in her camp to do so on her behalf? Which is fine and all but she really does profit of it so she has to expect that she may get some backlash on it. Live by the sword, die by the sword.

Personally, It would be different if she clearly wasn't writing songs about the famous guys she VERY publicly dates. If she was just enjoying screwing around and not speaking about it then it would be wrong if the press (or general public) went after her. She is 22, super rich, super famous - why the hell not? But you can't write songs about famous people then get pissed when the press (or those celebs) decide to have commentary. As much as she has a right to write those songs, when everyone knows who there are about, she is making it public fodder. She can't call someone else out then be offended when the same thing happens to her. To me at least, she comes across as an insecure, immature princess with no sense of humour who thinks the world revolves around her and her alone.

I would say there are many reasons why Taylor gets a different type of treatment. Are the press more likely to do it because she is female - probably but she does make it very easy for them. And let's be honest, George's people are MUCH better at handling the showmances than Taylor's have ever been. The One Director popstar? Good lord, that was like they were acting out a script and the whole relationship was pap planned for the sake of both their careers. She got called out just as much as George does over his girls.
watching
watching
Practically on first name terms with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Why doesn't George Clooney get the Taylor Swift treatment? Empty Re: Why doesn't George Clooney get the Taylor Swift treatment?

Post by Juliette Hardy Thu 01 Aug 2013, 12:14

Taylor Swift is almost 30 years younger.
An impressionable age to date & look for the "right" person...

His commitment to staying single only adds to his 'Sexiest Man Alive' aura.

No, not really. Makes him seem like he has compatibility "issues" about relationships & takes a flippant attitude.  
Especially given how mismatched he seems with his "girlfriends" (if that's what they are).

Last edited by Juliette Hardy on Thu 01 Aug 2013, 13:32; edited 1 time in total
Juliette Hardy
Juliette Hardy
Clooney-phile

Back to top Go down

Post by mosaic Thu 01 Aug 2013, 12:29

I agree with what you've written, Watching. Taylor Swift mocks her exes. Why do that publicly? It kind of gets into the victim mode while being punitive.

And I'm not down on her, either, she was very generous to the folks in Nashville when it flooded a few years ago, donating over $500,000.

Just sayin' she should rethink the belittlement of someone she once cared for.

mosaic
Clooney Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Carla97 Thu 01 Aug 2013, 13:12

Who is she? Artist of somekind? You know "artists" they use everything for creative purposes. Razz 
Carla97
Carla97
Clooney-love. And they said it wouldn't last

Back to top Go down

Post by theminis Thu 01 Aug 2013, 13:36

He doesn't get the Jennifer Aniston treatment either! Double stds yep
theminis
theminis

Back to top Go down

Post by silly girl Thu 01 Aug 2013, 13:54

True there is a bit of a double standard but I do notice more cynicism during and after this most recent relationship. I mean from the tabloids and media not just our comments.

silly girl
Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to Clooney I go!

Back to top Go down

Post by Lighterside Thu 01 Aug 2013, 14:09

Absolutely right on watching and as always perfectly stated!  She makes herself a target with her writing so transparently about her former paramours.  George never even mentions anyone he's dating in interviews to promote his work, much less making movies about them to humiliate them after they've parted ways.  She behaves like a diva and she was recently on stage with Carly Simon singing her famous song about love gone bad.  Maybe she should learn from Carly's example.  "You're so vain" has had it's 40th anniversary I think, and to this day, no one actually KNOWS who it was written about. Everyone has fun making their guesses but she's still not talking!

The trouble with most celebrities today is that they talk too much and then don't understand why people say mean things about them in the press.  Maybe it would be wise to learn not to share quite so much information about yourself and then you won't give people ammunition to criticize you with...it would help for a start!
Lighterside
Lighterside
Super clooney-astic fantastic

Back to top Go down

Post by theminis Thu 01 Aug 2013, 14:19

Isn't the song about Warren Beatty, maybe rumour. Absolute classic song, clever lyrics.
theminis
theminis

Back to top Go down

Post by Lighterside Thu 01 Aug 2013, 14:28

That's the beauty of it...no one actually knows and I've heard all kinds of guesses. Mystery is far more sexy than laying it all out there for everyone to see....some day maybe, these young starlets and singers will finally get that! LOL
Lighterside
Lighterside
Super clooney-astic fantastic

Back to top Go down

Post by theminis Thu 01 Aug 2013, 14:34

Nice to see you are an optimistic and hopeful person Lighter, mystery is far more intriguing and captivating.
theminis
theminis

Back to top Go down

Post by sparkie Thu 01 Aug 2013, 16:19

theminis wrote:Isn't the song about Warren Beatty, maybe rumour. Absolute classic song, clever lyrics.
I read somewhere that she said that it was Mick Jagger
sparkie
sparkie
Shooting hoops with George Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Juliette Hardy Thu 01 Aug 2013, 16:37

Carly Simon sang it, with Mick Jagger doing background vocals.
But it's supposed to be a composite character drawn from Warren Beatty & a few other men with whom she was involved.

I love the line,
"you had one eye in the mirror as you watched yourself gavotte." Laughing 
Juliette Hardy
Juliette Hardy
Clooney-phile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mazy Thu 01 Aug 2013, 18:20

I don't know much about TS the only thing that I have every heard is some kind of scandal after another. Never really paid much attention think Watching has got it down pat.

However, I never see any personal details or derogatory remarks about any of his ladies from him. Even though the gossip/press loves to put George down the get little ammunition from his behavior. The legitimate press usually report on his positive actions.

I cannot find any justification for even comparing the two except someone needed to fill some space with words.
Mazy
Mazy
Achieving total Clooney-dom

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Thu 01 Aug 2013, 19:39

I agree with watching. I don't hear her music but if it comes in the radio it is always about break ups and such and always I hear her that her relationshipd end after few month only. I found her very boring as her work and life is always the same drama
Nicky80
Nicky80
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Missa Fri 02 Aug 2013, 14:26

Agree with all the Taylor Swift comments - I saw. Joke somewhere online that her next song should be titled "Maybe I'm the Problem". Very Happy  I think a more appropriate comparison for George is Jennifer Aniston, and she absolutely gets treated differently in the press. It's the underlying sense of "why oh why can't this poor girl find a man so she can finally be happy" in the stories about her serial relationships, compared to the wink-wink-nudge-nudge "lucky George has new girl" stories that bother me the most.
Missa
Missa
Clooney-love. And they said it wouldn't last

Back to top Go down

Post by theminis Fri 02 Aug 2013, 14:28

Missa - I saw a quote online around the time that George and Stacy split, saying that if the article was about Jennifer Aniston instead - the Headline would have read - "Oh why can't poor hapless George find love" - very true
theminis
theminis

Back to top Go down

Post by lovelylois Fri 02 Aug 2013, 15:30

The reason there is a double standard in the media is because Taylor Swift has a very large following of young women between the ages of 12 to early 20s and her name sells gossip magazines, fashion magazines and hits on web sites. She sings about every guy she breaks up with and young women can identify with that. Her music is considered crossover music. Her music is played on country and rock radio stations. Her net worth is about 80 million dollars and that is pretty good for a 23 year old. Her name brand sells everything. So, when People magazine puts her on the cover with some break up story, it sells.

lovelylois
More than a little bit enthusiastic about Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down