George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George Clooney to make his Broadway debut in a play version of movie ‘Good Night, and Good Luck
Berlusconi sentenced to one year in jail EmptyYesterday at 19:19 by benex

» George celebrating his birthday on location in Italy
Berlusconi sentenced to one year in jail EmptyYesterday at 02:07 by annemariew

»  George filming new film in UK
Berlusconi sentenced to one year in jail EmptySat 11 May 2024, 01:04 by annemariew

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
Berlusconi sentenced to one year in jail EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:41 by annemariew

» George and Amal speaking at the Skoll Foundation conference in Oxford today
Berlusconi sentenced to one year in jail EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:37 by annemariew

» George in IF
Berlusconi sentenced to one year in jail EmptyFri 12 Apr 2024, 18:44 by party animal - not!

» Amal announces new law degree sponsorship
Berlusconi sentenced to one year in jail EmptyFri 05 Apr 2024, 01:51 by annemariew

» George's new project The Department - a series
Berlusconi sentenced to one year in jail EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

»  Back in the UK
Berlusconi sentenced to one year in jail EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

Berlusconi sentenced to one year in jail

+9
Best in Category
MM
party animal - not!
madsky
theminis
OofOof
watching
it's me
Joanna
13 posters

Go down

Berlusconi sentenced to one year in jail Empty Re: Berlusconi sentenced to one year in jail

Post by Joanna Thu 07 Mar 2013, 11:39

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2013/03/07/uk-italy-berlusconi-trial-wiretap-idUKBRE9260GR20130307

MILAN | Thu Mar 7, 2013 11:12am GMT

(Reuters) -

An Italian court on Thursday sentenced former prime minister Silvio Berlusconi to a one-year jail term for making public the taped contents of a confidential phone call in a case related to a 2005 banking scandal.

The sentence, which was read in court by the judge, came as Berlusconi is facing two other trials for alleged tax fraud and paying for sex with an underage prostitute.

Prosecutors in the wiretap case had asked for a one-year jail term for the media tycoon.

Berlusconi, who has denied any wrongdoing, can seek to have the decision overturned before a court of appeal.

Under Italian law, he is not expected to serve any prison term until all possible appeal trials have been carried out.

(Reporting by Manuela D'Alessandro, writing by Antonella Ciancio; editing by James Mackenzie)

Joanna
Joanna
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Berlusconi sentenced to one year in jail Empty Re: Berlusconi sentenced to one year in jail

Post by it's me Thu 07 Mar 2013, 13:12

thanks for the news
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Berlusconi sentenced to one year in jail Empty Berlusconi sentenced to one year in jail

Post by watching Thu 07 Mar 2013, 22:58

Berlusconi sentenced to one year in jail

Berlusconi gets jail sentence for illegal wiretaps, Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi is sentenced to a one-year jail term for making public the taped contents of a confidential phone call.

An Italian court has sentenced former prime minister Silvio Berlusconi to a year in prison over the publication of leaked transcripts from a police wiretap in a newspaper he owns. Berlusconi, who faces two more verdicts this month for tax fraud and having sex with an underage prostitute, can appeal the conviction, which would suspend the sentence under Italian law.

Italian sentencing guidelines indicate that people aged over 75 and with sentences of less than two years do not have to actually go to prison. Berlusconi, a billionaire media tycoon, is 76.

‘‘I am disappointed and concerned because I am convinced that the proof was insufficient, contradictory or missing,’’ Berlusconi’s lawyer Piero Longo told reporters after the hearing on Thursday.

‘‘I was not expecting a conviction,’’ he said.

Fabrizio Cicchitto, a leading member of Berlusconi’s People of Freedom party, said: ‘‘The plan to eliminate Silvio Berlusconi through the justice system is now so obvious that it is dangerous for democracy.’’

The party is preparing a demonstration later this month against a justice system that Berlusconi frequently portrays as left-wing and biased. Berlusconi stood accused of violating secrecy laws after his Il Giornale newspaper published transcripts in 2005 that were widely seen as an attempt to discredit a senior member of the centre-left Democratic Party ahead of elections in 2006. The leaks were about the attempted takeover of BNL bank by insurance giant Unipol.

Berlusconi’s brother Paolo, editor of Il Giornale, was sentenced to two years and three months. Silvio Berlusconi also faces a verdict possibly this month in a trial in which he is accused of having sex with a then 17-year-old prostitute when he was prime minister and then abusing the power of his office by putting pressure on police to release her from custody. A verdict in his appeal trial against a tax fraud conviction from last year in which he was also sentenced to a year in prison is also expected this month.

Link
watching
watching
Practically on first name terms with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by OofOof Thu 07 Mar 2013, 23:14

‘‘The plan to eliminate Silvio Berlusconi through the justice system is now so obvious that it is dangerous for democracy.’’

I'd say, based on what I've seen of Silvio's behavior in Italy where he basically owns the media, democracy has been in danger there for years! And, of course, he will receive 1 year sentences for the other charges so that he won't end up actually having to spend a day in jail.
OofOof
OofOof
Clooney-love. And they said it wouldn't last

Back to top Go down

Post by theminis Fri 08 Mar 2013, 00:36

Can I just ask what the point is in seeking a conviction for someone who cannot go to jail over 75 years, unless it is to discredit him, but he does a good job of that himself!
theminis
theminis

Back to top Go down

Post by madsky Fri 08 Mar 2013, 01:36

Okay Belusconi reminds me a bit of the former mayor of Washington, DC Marion Barry. Mayor Barry gets caught in a hotel room with a hooker snorting cocaine with video, and still a portion of Washington, DC loves him and elects him to a councilman office. Didn't Berlusconi come in second in the prime minister race the other day even though he was on trial numerous times. It is amazing what people will believe. Glad George never really got that involved with him. I actually feel bad for Eli if she was more involved. He seems like a pig.

madsky
Clooney Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Fri 08 Mar 2013, 06:46

it's worse than that
he wanted corruption into our Country
at every levels

this is a really bad illness for us
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Fri 08 Mar 2013, 11:41

theminis wrote:Can I just ask what the point is in seeking a conviction for someone who cannot go to jail over 75 years, unless it is to discredit him, but he does a good job of that himself!

He passed that law himself recently...Lol

Italian politics is a joke IMO....its a shame for the people.
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Fri 08 Mar 2013, 14:50

I know

Ilda Boccassini
the lawyer against him
had to do her final harangue
today
about the trial of Ruby rubacuori (stealer of hearts)
-the 17 (at the time) years old
allegedy payed from berlusconi for sex-
but he send the umpteenth
medical certificate
to stay home

it is LA GIORNATA DELLA DONNA
International Women's Day
today
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Fri 08 Mar 2013, 16:33

He's unbelievable isn't he IM.
Why do the people still want him ?

I'm amazed he hasn't been assassinated by now lol!
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Fri 08 Mar 2013, 16:44

In hospital with an 'eye problem' Can't take bright lights apparently, Trial halted

What a strategist -or, erm, prima donna?

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by madsky Fri 08 Mar 2013, 18:16

I am with you don't get why a portion of the public seems to like and love these poisonous people. Just so odd. What do they see that the rest of us don't? Very damaging to Italy on so many levels.

madsky
Clooney Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Fri 08 Mar 2013, 18:47

Huge charisma, I suspect - and, I hear, something called hope and optimism!! Everything will be coming up roses etc - plus the odd bit of power (i e several national tv stations) to deliver his message.

Sort of a Murdoch, if you like, with fewer scruples, a possible hair transplant and many a young 'friend' to keep the tabloids happy - allegedly!

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by MM Fri 08 Mar 2013, 20:09

Berlusconi should do himself and everybody in Italy a favor: he should exile himslef to the island of Alba, like Napoleon did many years ago. Have history repeat itself.
MM
MM
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by Best in Category Fri 08 Mar 2013, 20:50

God how many haters here!
I ♥️ Berlusconi! Marry me! Very Happy

Best in Category
More than a little bit enthusiastic about Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Fri 08 Mar 2013, 23:30

Joanna wrote:He's unbelievable isn't he IM.
Why do the people still want him ?

why?
bec some are dishonest like him
others would like to be as he (was)
many ppl's votes we fear was payed for (voto di scambio: drug, some little money, they said maybe food too)

Exploded
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by silly girl Sat 09 Mar 2013, 00:26

Do we really think he will go to jail?

silly girl
Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to Clooney I go!

Back to top Go down

Post by playfuldeb Sat 09 Mar 2013, 03:39

no, I think he will marry BIC
playfuldeb
playfuldeb
Clooneyfied!

Back to top Go down

Berlusconi sentenced to one year in jail Empty temp temp

Post by playfuldeb Sat 09 Mar 2013, 04:33

isn't there another thread regarding this guy?
playfuldeb
playfuldeb
Clooneyfied!

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Sat 09 Mar 2013, 05:39

LOL

sadly (bec I really think he was a big disaster for our Country) he is guilt
but in terms of jail.... even too old

house arrest I guess
it will be the penalty

the most important thing is
no more
politics

for him
(directly)
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Sat 09 Mar 2013, 09:51

Yes there was, Playful. Thanks and I've moved the posts about Berlusconi here.
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Sat 09 Mar 2013, 10:38

it's me wrote:house arrest I guess
it will be the penalty
And let the bunga bunga parties resume.
melbert
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down