George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
»  George filming new film in UK
EW Online: Prizefighter says Argo leading Best Picture Oscar race but can it hold? EmptyWed 24 Apr 2024, 11:39 by annemariew

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
EW Online: Prizefighter says Argo leading Best Picture Oscar race but can it hold? EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:41 by annemariew

» George and Amal speaking at the Skoll Foundation conference in Oxford today
EW Online: Prizefighter says Argo leading Best Picture Oscar race but can it hold? EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:37 by annemariew

» George in IF
EW Online: Prizefighter says Argo leading Best Picture Oscar race but can it hold? EmptyFri 12 Apr 2024, 18:44 by party animal - not!

» Amal announces new law degree sponsorship
EW Online: Prizefighter says Argo leading Best Picture Oscar race but can it hold? EmptyFri 05 Apr 2024, 01:51 by annemariew

» George's new project The Department - a series
EW Online: Prizefighter says Argo leading Best Picture Oscar race but can it hold? EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

»  Back in the UK
EW Online: Prizefighter says Argo leading Best Picture Oscar race but can it hold? EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
EW Online: Prizefighter says Argo leading Best Picture Oscar race but can it hold? EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

» What Happened?
EW Online: Prizefighter says Argo leading Best Picture Oscar race but can it hold? EmptyTue 27 Feb 2024, 10:51 by annemariew

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

EW Online: Prizefighter says Argo leading Best Picture Oscar race but can it hold?

+3
Katiedot
silly girl
LornaDoone
7 posters

Go down

EW Online: Prizefighter says Argo leading Best Picture Oscar race but can it hold? Empty EW Online: Prizefighter says Argo leading Best Picture Oscar race but can it hold?

Post by LornaDoone Mon 26 Nov 2012, 16:27

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

We’re still almost a month-and-a-half away from the close of nominations on Jan. 3. Academy voters have seen a lot already and have a few heavy favorites, but some potential contenders haven’t even begun screening for them yet. (Reporters sometimes get to see rough cuts, but voters must wait for the finished product.)

Based on the voters I’ve talked to, it’s close to a four-way tie between Ben Affleck’s Iran rescue drama Argo, Ang Lee’s mystical Life of Pi, Steven Spielberg’s Lincoln, and David O. Russell’s manic romance Silver Linings Playbook. (See here if you want a run-down of how votes are tallied. And check out Gurus O’ Gold and Gold Derby for aggregate rankings from others.)

If voting were held today I think it would go down like this. Again, it’s not my personal preference, but an estimation based on anecdotal sampling of voters. The safe thing would be to make this prediction now and stick with it for the long term, but voters seem to change their minds constantly. I think a lot could evolve, so I’m going to take a risk on an alternate scenario for how the final ranking could shake out. (More on that later.):

1. Argo
2. Lincoln
3. Silver Linings Playbook
4. Life of Pi

Both Argo and Silver Linings Playbook debuted in September at the Toronto International Film Festival to raves, but Argo has the advantage because it has already opened nationally to solid and enduring box office, is one of the best-reviewed wide releases of the year, and has been out long enough to build into a consensus choice. It’s a safe bet, so if you ask voters to rank their favorites of the year, it’s usually the first one they say. “Solid” is the word I hear again and again from admiring Argo voters. Support for it could easily be the same, leading it straight to Best Picture victory.

But the downside to being such an early frontrunner is maintaining that momentum.

Argo is a sure-fire nominee, but Warner Bros. has to walk the line between maintaining its support and not wearing out its welcome. It’s easier for a film like The Artist to cling to front-runner status in a year when there isn’t a lot of major competition, but Argo will face an especially strong line-up of heavy-hitter challengers.

Last edited by LornaDoone on Mon 26 Nov 2012, 16:28; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add category in title)
LornaDoone
LornaDoone

Back to top Go down

EW Online: Prizefighter says Argo leading Best Picture Oscar race but can it hold? Empty Re: EW Online: Prizefighter says Argo leading Best Picture Oscar race but can it hold?

Post by silly girl Mon 26 Nov 2012, 16:53

I agree with this....Les Miz still needs to open and Lincoln is a strong competitor.

silly girl
Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to Clooney I go!

Back to top Go down

EW Online: Prizefighter says Argo leading Best Picture Oscar race but can it hold? Empty Re: EW Online: Prizefighter says Argo leading Best Picture Oscar race but can it hold?

Post by Katiedot Mon 26 Nov 2012, 17:35

Oooh, it could be George on the Oscars red carpet again!
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Maggy Mon 26 Nov 2012, 17:46

And his other half.

Maggy
Maggy
Totally loving George Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by OofOof Mon 26 Nov 2012, 17:56

You made me laugh Ms. maggy!
OofOof
OofOof
Clooney-love. And they said it wouldn't last

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Mon 26 Nov 2012, 17:57

Oh, and won't that be fun. /sarcasm
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Maggy Mon 26 Nov 2012, 19:28

OofOof wrote:You made me laugh Ms. maggy!
Really!

I was laughing when I wrote, too.

Laughing
Maggy
Maggy
Totally loving George Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Atalante Mon 26 Nov 2012, 23:54

But Lincoln izzzzzz Clooney, remember ! Twisted Evil
Atalante
Atalante
Clooney-love. And they said it wouldn't last

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Tue 27 Nov 2012, 05:27

LOOL
it's me
it's me
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by silly girl Wed 28 Nov 2012, 15:31

Wasn't sure if I should start a new thread---you can move Katie.

Ben Affleck is the Entertainer of the Year for Entertainment Weekly.
GC gets his name on the cover and a blurb (not sure if there is more in actual magazine article).

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

GC quote: Argo producer George Clooney also weighs in on Affleck’s triumphant return to the A-list after a decade of ups and downs. “Hollywood loves a comeback, and he’s an unbelievable comeback kid.”

silly girl
Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to Clooney I go!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down