George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George celebrating his birthday on location in Italy
The Descendants - Page 10 EmptyToday at 10:30 by party animal - not!

»  George filming new film in UK
The Descendants - Page 10 EmptyYesterday at 01:04 by annemariew

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
The Descendants - Page 10 EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:41 by annemariew

» George and Amal speaking at the Skoll Foundation conference in Oxford today
The Descendants - Page 10 EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:37 by annemariew

» George in IF
The Descendants - Page 10 EmptyFri 12 Apr 2024, 18:44 by party animal - not!

» Amal announces new law degree sponsorship
The Descendants - Page 10 EmptyFri 05 Apr 2024, 01:51 by annemariew

» George's new project The Department - a series
The Descendants - Page 10 EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

»  Back in the UK
The Descendants - Page 10 EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
The Descendants - Page 10 EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

The Descendants

+62
Mazy
theminis
MM
janieb
George CantStandYa
Lakin460
caudata
lelacorb
Astras
EEOsandy
silly girl
_kelsey_
Duffy
alriv
Maggy
doris day
davidarochelle
premiere
madsky
Missa
Joanna
socimar
Casey
sandeepmanral
Aruna
Pari
zizi
Anja
lolo"layla"
dakota007
Cinderella
sadDonkey
sarah ali
macs
MyGirlKylie
pattygirl
hathaross
Natascha
playfuldeb
LornaDoone
bunny
Clooney
Stonehenge who?
bellybaby
Atalante
sandwiches
fluffy
cindigirl
laetval
watching
Tigerina
Katiedot
it's me
Henway
PigLove
sisieq
Vi
lucy
Dexterdidit
blubelle
melbert
Merlin
66 posters

Page 10 of 18 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 14 ... 18  Next

Go down

The Descendants - Page 10 Empty Re: The Descendants

Post by sadDonkey Fri 25 Nov 2011, 10:08

Thank you for the link sandeepmanral.
Unfortunately I cant't see The Descendants before January, so I can't judge. But I've seen "Tree of Life" which is my favorite movie of the year so far and really really good. "The Descendants" had really tough competition.

sadDonkey
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Location : Universe, Milky Way, Solar System, Earth, Europe, ...

Back to top Go down

Post by cindigirl Sat 26 Nov 2011, 15:08

I saw The Descendents yesterday with my girlfriend. The theater was full, even though it was an early matinee. The movie has many surprises and it's the only movie (since Steel Magnolies) that people were crying and laughing almost at the same time. My gf who I never saw cry was bawling and sniffling like a baby. The audience was spellbound. Excellent movie!!!!
cindigirl
cindigirl
Happy Clooney-looney!

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Sat 26 Nov 2011, 15:59

Thanks for your personal review cindigirl and I'm pleased you enjoyed it so much. It certainly looks lovely from all the trailers.
Joanna
Joanna
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by lucy Sat 26 Nov 2011, 16:34

Thanks cindigirl, want to go see it this weekend but it's only playing in downtown Dallas or Arlington which is a 45min drive one way. This always happens in my neck of the woods, with most films I want to see, guess I'm not part of the bandwagon! So it looks like I'll be taking a drive!
lucy
lucy
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by cindigirl Sat 26 Nov 2011, 16:50

Hi lucy, I'm sorry it's playing so far from you but I think it'll be well worth the drive. I'm not exaggerating when I say the audience was spellbound. The most laughs was when he was "schlubbing' on the road with slippers or boat shoes on.

My friend who for some reason absolutely hates GC loved the film and I think was crying the most. Enjoy!
cindigirl
cindigirl
Happy Clooney-looney!

Back to top Go down

Post by blubelle Sun 27 Nov 2011, 16:27

I saw TD yesterday. Not an empty seat in the theater. When the film ended no one moved. I can't imagine it not getting a nomination. If there are 10 film noms this year I think IOM will get one also but this is the better film. G is excellent in this film. IMO his best acted role. If anyone says he is playing himself they didn't see this film. The cast is wonderful and fully believable. The actress playing the younger daughter is fantastic.

Note to G: Stop playing the sexiest man alive role and embrace the character in this film. I don't know the political machinations of an oscar run - but this year the award is yours to "lose".
blubelle
blubelle
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Sun 27 Nov 2011, 17:11

to lose?

his fault if not winning it ?
I guess it's like that anyway

.... scratch

explain better
please

thanks
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Sun 27 Nov 2011, 17:14

wait

the thin difference of
having already
and then losing it

I KNOW
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by blubelle Sun 27 Nov 2011, 19:47

Yes!!!
blubelle
blubelle
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by cindigirl Sun 27 Nov 2011, 19:54

Bluebell - I think he's pretty much used to being so close to winning and then not. It's happened so many times to him in the past. But IMO if he doesn't win for TD then there is definitely something wrong with the academy voting system (and the politics involved).
cindigirl
cindigirl
Happy Clooney-looney!

Back to top Go down

Post by sisieq Sun 27 Nov 2011, 21:46

I think this "opening" was limited to make sure it qualifies for the Oscars. Nick even said something like that a few months ago when the original starting date was pushed up from its original December opening. I think around Christmas or slightly thereafter its suppose to open across the country (U.S.). In January when it look likes who the frontrunners are, usually come back to theaters, too.

sisieq
Training to be Mrs Clooney?

Back to top Go down

Post by bunny Sun 27 Nov 2011, 21:59

Saw the movie this morning. It was a beautiful film. It really was the best film I have seen this year.
bunny
bunny
Learning to love George Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Missa Sun 27 Nov 2011, 22:01

I finally got the chance to see it today, and boy, what a great film. It is certainly, IMO, George's best work to date. There are two scenes in particular, both just him and his wife in her hospital room, that would have been very easy to over do, and he is really just pitch perfect in them. The rest of the cast is extraordinary as well, even those with smaller roles, like Matthew Lillard and Judy Greer. I think George and Alexander Payne are foregone conclusions for Oscar nominations, but if Shailene Woodley is not nominated as well, that would be a crime. Two thumbs up! Thumbs up! Thumbs up!
Missa
Missa
Clooney-love. And they said it wouldn't last

Back to top Go down

Post by madsky Sun 27 Nov 2011, 22:14

I saw it too and it really is moving with some amazing performances all around. A really strong movie that is both funny and sad.

I do really wonder about the staggered release date. This is not to qualify for an Oscar - The Oscar deadline is the movie needs to be released by midnight 12/31 in L.A. County. Meryl Streep's Margaret Thatcher biopic is just making that deadline.

Maybe they just couldn't get the theatre showings, but decided to release it to start a word of mouth campaign. Well I'll bite- this really was one of the best movies of the year, and you don't need to even like Clooney to like this film so tell all your friends to go see it.

madsky
Clooney Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Sun 27 Nov 2011, 22:28

thanks

sadly (and as usual) I have to wait
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by LornaDoone Mon 28 Nov 2011, 00:15

Guess today was the day to see this! Saw it this morning at one of those theaters where you can pick your seat. I bought my ticket on Thursday and there were maybe three seats taken. By the time the movie started today I think the only seats available were way at the bottom near the screen.

I enjoyed the film. Little snippets of scenes keep coming back to me.

George is very good in this film and I agree that the scenes with him alone with his wife (especially the latter scene) were quite well done and moving.

One thing kept bothering me though. SPOILER ALERT!

In the scene where George is with the family to decide to whom to sell the land, there is a guy sitting next to Beau Bridges who doesn't say anything but I'm telling you I know he used to be a very popular actor but I can't remember his name.

It was strange that he didn't say anything and he's much, much thinner than he used to be so I kept wondering if he was sick and George gave him the role to help him out. Anyone who's seen it any ideas? He has curly ashy brown hair now. Wait I went to IMBD his name is Michael Ontkean. But it was just strange that he didn't say anything.

Anyway, nice job by the gals playing the daughters and also by Judy Greer who plays the other man's wife.

I enjoyed the film and I would be surprised if it didn't get any nominations. The performances were much too solid and moving to ignore.
LornaDoone
LornaDoone

Back to top Go down

Post by sisieq Mon 28 Nov 2011, 00:21

madsky wrote:Maybe they just couldn't get the theatre showings, but decided to release it to start a word of mouth campaign.
Good point! Glad you all enjoyed it so much!

sisieq

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Mon 28 Nov 2011, 01:12

Wasn't it stated somewhere, or did I just imagine it in my brilliant brain, that they were going to soft open because of Twilight and Muppets and whatever else that they didn't want to majorly compete with. Then after they all died down a bit, Descendants would go for the hard release.
melbert
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by pattygirl Mon 28 Nov 2011, 01:22

Lorna, Just went over the book for TD and there is no cousin Milo in it.

Melbert, Don't know if it was stated, but it's a damn good idea. No point in getting hammered when you can wait a bit, have a good word of mouth start and give it a go later on.

Can't wait till tomorrow, gonna go see it with my daughter. Early show so she can get home for kids. So looking forward to seeing it.

bounce cheers I love you
pattygirl
pattygirl
Achieving total Clooney-dom

Back to top Go down

Post by sisieq Mon 28 Nov 2011, 01:24

melbert wrote:Wasn't it stated somewhere, or did I just imagine it in my brilliant brain, that they were going to soft open because of Twilight and Muppets and whatever else that they didn't want to majorly compete with. Then after they all died down a bit, Descendants would go for the hard release.

Yes, I think that's true. However, the original opening was suppose to be Dec 16 in the U.S. Then it got changed to now.

sisieq

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Mon 28 Nov 2011, 02:08

Maybe that's still going to be the "grand" opening Sisieq? Even at around 400 theaters, it still did over $9 mil!!!!!
melbert
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by zizi Mon 28 Nov 2011, 03:29

I also went to see it today . The theater was packed and it is a huge one. It is such a great movie that it is really hard to even describe it. One of the best. I think it is even better than IOM. Everybody can relate to this one, it is really moving. George is just perfect, one of his best roles. The whole cast is excellent as well. No doubt that it is an Oscar performance for George. And I agree with Cindigirl:

cindigirl wrote: if he doesn't win for TD then there is definitely something wrong with the academy voting system (and the politics involved).

zizi
More than a little bit enthusiastic about Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Mon 28 Nov 2011, 15:13

Link found by New Kid:

From the wrap

Indie Box Office: 'Descendants' Gains Momentum, 'Marilyn' Has Sexy Debut

Published: November 27, 2011 @ 2:01 pm

By Joshua L. Weinstein

Adult dramas won enthusiastic audiences over the Thanksgiving weekend, with Alexander Payne's "The Descendants" gaining momentum and a wider audience, taking in $9.2 million at the box office over the five-day holiday.

But that was hardly the only drama to perform well as indie studios introduced their serious films of the awards season.

Michelle Williams' portrayal as America's most iconic actress debuted strongly over the Thanksgiving holiday weekend, with the Weinstein Company's "My Week With Marilyn" opening to $2 million at 244 domestic locations.

Weinstein's "The Artist" also enjoyed a big premiere in limited release, taking in $210,414 at four theaters over three days -- a huge per-theater average of more than $52,600 per screen.

The Sony Pictures Classics "A Dangerous Method" had a strong weekend as well, taking in $240,944 at four locations over five days (per screen average of $60,233).

But Fox Searchlight's "The Descendants" dominated the indie box office, grossing $9.2 million from Wednesday through Sunday while expanding from 29 to 433 locations.

Sheila DeLoach, executive VP of distribution for Fox Searchlight, told TheWrap that the studio was encouraged to see the age range for the film expanding.

"The audience has clearly crossed from older adults to an all-audience film for adults over 18," she said, adding that the studio planned to expand into another 200 theaters. "Based on demand, we will be looking to move as many of those theaters as possible up to Friday, Dec. 2," she said.

The movie, by director Alexander Payne, stars George Clooney as a hapless land baron who is selling off family property in Hawaii when his wife is injured in a boating accident. He is left to deal with two hard-to-tame daughters and the knowledge that his wife had taken a lover.

Its per-screen average was $16,628 over the five-day weekend

"Marilyn," which is generating Oscar buzz for star Michelle Williams, had a solid per-screen average of $7,266 for the three days. The movie is about the interaction between Lawrence Olivier and Monroe during production of "The Prince and the Showgirl."

Its numbers were strong enough to make "Marilyn" the No. 12 movie in the country.

"The way it played throughout the weekend is an indication that word of mouth is building on the film, and that's what we thought, which is why we opened early -- to get people talking," Erik Lomis, the Weinstein Company's head of distribution, told TheWrap.

The R-rated movie, directed by Simon Curtis, opened on 123 screens Wednesday and expanded to 244 screens on Friday.

"We're getting a more sophisticated audience, an older audience and people are responding really well," Lomis said.
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by cindigirl Mon 28 Nov 2011, 15:24

I've seen the movie and I wonder why it is rated 'R'. There are no George sex scenes (I know, I would have noticed -
too bad) and the part of the movie referring to his wife's affair but no actual scene like IOM .
cindigirl
cindigirl
Happy Clooney-looney!

Back to top Go down

Post by hathaross Mon 28 Nov 2011, 16:14

A new vid of on set:

Link

George always joking and playing lol!

Last edited by Katiedot on Mon 28 Nov 2011, 16:17; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added video)
hathaross
hathaross

Back to top Go down

Post by cindigirl Mon 28 Nov 2011, 16:24

Thanks for the great video hathaross. Thumbs up!
cindigirl
cindigirl
Happy Clooney-looney!

Back to top Go down

Post by lolo"layla" Mon 28 Nov 2011, 23:16

Thanks for the vid hathaross .

lolo"layla"
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by Missa Tue 29 Nov 2011, 01:36

cindigirl wrote:I've seen the movie and I wonder why it is rated 'R'. There are no George sex scenes (I know, I would have noticed -
too bad) and the part of the movie referring to his wife's affair but no actual scene like IOM .

My guess is due to the language. The two girls in particular have some...colorful lines.
Missa
Missa
Clooney-love. And they said it wouldn't last

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Tue 29 Nov 2011, 03:02

great video! I love the behind the scenes stuff.
melbert
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by lucy Tue 29 Nov 2011, 05:28

Didn't get around to seeing it yet, one of my daughters friends just became a GC fan (IOM-TD) shes 25 and loved this movie and yes she cried, she laughed, thinks he should get the Oscar.
lucy
lucy
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Tue 29 Nov 2011, 12:21

Thanks for the behind the scenes video hathaross.
I love watching all that stuff.

While the film obviously is good on storyline and acting and direction, I got a good vibe from the trailers, just by looking at the sunny weather, beautiful scenery and ocean.

Maybe it's a good plan to release it in the colder months thus
making it a subliminal "escape from winter blues" film ?
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by pattygirl Tue 29 Nov 2011, 16:51

Saw TD, finally, last night. Good night to go, easy parking and easier finding a seat.
What can I say that hasn't been said before. George covered a wide spectrum of emotions so wonderfully. He gave such depth to Matt King, the sadness, anger, confusion, and love, he captured so completely. Don't know if he's going to win, but surely will be nominated.

Missa, I agree that the "salty" language by the girls has to be the reason for the "R" rating.

If they had an award for most gorgeous background,TD would surely win. I've been to Kauai and have never seen it look so vibrant.
pattygirl
pattygirl

Back to top Go down

Post by lolo"layla" Tue 29 Nov 2011, 17:29

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

lolo"layla"
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by hathaross Tue 29 Nov 2011, 22:46

Thanks a lot lolo!!!!! Give Flowers
hathaross
hathaross

Back to top Go down

Post by zizi Wed 30 Nov 2011, 02:19

Thanks Lolo, we appreciate it. Give Flowers

zizi

Back to top Go down

Post by fluffy Wed 30 Nov 2011, 14:00

Just going off on a tangent, but keeping the theme, just read an article in Empire about TD, and by the side of George's name was "tm". Can you trademark your name? and if so haven't noticed before that George was! Should we be paying him for adoring him and using his name so many times over!!!!!! We are not worthy!!!
fluffy
fluffy
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by Henway Wed 30 Nov 2011, 14:32

Saw the film! Good film!

I do not see why anyone thinks he deserves an Oscar for it. The only new expression I saw on George was his crying. The hedge scene seemed to be right out of O'Brother. To me this roll was not a stretch it was him playing see why I do not want kids or should be a father. Now if he was playing the perfect parent and polled it off then I would say give it to him. I thought he was better in Up in the air then this.

Extra's seemed to pull it down, some made me feel like they remembered there lines but delivered with out emotion.

Sorry folks can not see him winning if he did well then Stacy should get a bigger pay check. Do not get me wrong I want to see him nominated, do not want to miss that red carpet. So Stacy get out there and wave that tail feather throw on a thong and head back to Cabo, work it girl get Georgeie Poo to the Oscars. Kinky in bed I dunno

Henway
Clooney-phile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cinderella Wed 30 Nov 2011, 14:50

I don't think Stacy can get George to the Oscars. If anything she's part of the reason he's being pulled down. - If George makes it to the Oscars it will be because of George not some "girl" he's poking. JMHO
Cinderella
Cinderella
Practically on first name terms with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by zizi Wed 30 Nov 2011, 18:47

@ Henway, you have some good points, but I also think that nothing seduces a women quicker than a trace of sadness in the eyes. And majority of us are women.
@ Cinderella, yes because no matter what ha says, his professional and personal lives are interlinked. And it is not is his favor. IMO

zizi

Back to top Go down

Post by lolo"layla" Wed 30 Nov 2011, 21:07

@Henway, i don't know why and i didn't see the movie yet but i agree with u ,the film for the story might be good and different for G but from the trailer i don't see great Oscar worthy performance either !

lolo"layla"
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by premiere Wed 30 Nov 2011, 23:16

I saw the movie last weekend, and was a little disappointed even though my husband loved it. In trying to figure out why I decided that it was overhyped and didn't live up to my expectations. If I hadn't heard a lot about it I would have come away from the theater thinking about what an excellent movie it was. However, all I'd heard was how it was going to win the Oscar, yada, yada, and I sat through the whole thing waiting for the movie to be the best movie all year. I think George did OK, but to me the supporting cast was amazing, expecially the girl who played his older daughter. It also wasn't nearly as funny as it was sad so we walked out of it feeling kind of depressed.
premiere
premiere
Clooney Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Thu 01 Dec 2011, 13:04

hmmm.... thanks
anyway we will see with our eyes
ciao
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by blubelle Thu 01 Dec 2011, 20:08

Guess I'm one of the few that really liked it and thought it was oscar worthy. The people in the theater also seemed to view it positively. As I said in an earlier post no one moved. They just sat there till the credits rolled and the lights went up.
blubelle
blubelle
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by dakota007 Thu 01 Dec 2011, 20:22

you are not the only one BB!!! the majority agree with you!!
dakota007
dakota007
Clooney Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by pattygirl Thu 01 Dec 2011, 21:58

Oh, blu, you're not alone by any means. I think those who seem to be putting TD and George's performance down, are in a strange head space right now. They've been this way since SK became an issue. Everything is colored by their feelings over that. They never speak of George with anything but animosity. This is their opinion and they are welcome to it. Too bad it really isn't based on the true issue.
pattygirl
pattygirl

Back to top Go down

Post by blubelle Fri 02 Dec 2011, 00:26

Thanks guys - I was beginning to feel lonely. I tend to separate his professional life from his personal life.
blubelle
blubelle
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by pattygirl Fri 02 Dec 2011, 03:31

Best way to do it. Guess I just can't be too concerned about how he lives as long as he's well and happy. Just want to see his movies.
pattygirl
pattygirl

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Fri 02 Dec 2011, 15:40

Did we read this interview yet?

From Parade mag

Descendants' Amara Miller Talks George Clooney as a Dad

Amara Miller hit the jackpot when she was cast to play George Clooney’s daughter in The Descendants.

To find a young actress who could handle the humor and heartache of playing the pre-adolescent eccentric Scottie King, director Alexander Payne saw more than 300 girls from around the country. In the end, it was 11-year-old Amara Miller from Pacific Grove, Calif. who won the role.

Miller talked to Parade.com about her big screen debut and what she learned from Clooney.

On playing George Clooney’s onscreen daughter.
“It was amazing. Nothing could ever beat it. George was such a cool person to work with. He really welcomed me. The first day on set, it seemed like I had known him all my life.”

On Clooney as a dad.
“George made a great on-camera dad in the movie. On set, he is quite the prankster and made me feel very comfortable and relaxed since it was my first movie. He did not really give me any advice, but I learned from watching him. Just little things. I think the most important thing I saw was how he treated the people around him.

Her favorite on-set memory.
“Being with everyone was my favorite on-set memory. My tutor Rebecca Davis was fantastic and fun, the producer Jim Burke was like a dad to me, and everyone on set was great. There were only one or two days of filming with other kids, so I was the only kid on set for three months. That could be a bit tough, but everyone took time to have fun with me.”

On her blossoming career.
When the role of Scottie King came to me, I said ‘Why not, that would be fun!’ It was a lot of hard work but very exciting so I am going to continue acting.”

On the actors she looks up to.
“Definitely George! Elizabeth Taylor, Audrey Hepburn and Steve Carell are great. Hailey Steinfeld was awesome in True Grit and Charlie Chaplain is hilarious.”

On what she likes to do for fun.
“I love to draw, travel, hang out with friends, cook, and garden. I also love writing scripts and making short films with my friends.”
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by lucy Fri 02 Dec 2011, 15:59

Premiere, I understand what you are saying sometimes the hype ruins it for me too, it"s way to much marketing and your expectations can"t live up to the reality. I have ignored most of the interviews until I see the film, I don"t want to know everything going in,just not enough surprises anymore.
lucy
lucy
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by lolo"layla" Fri 02 Dec 2011, 17:24

pattygirl wrote:Oh, blu, you're not alone by any means. I think those who seem to be putting TD and George's performance down, are in a strange head space right now. They've been this way since SK became an issue. Everything is colored by their feelings over that. They never speak of George with anything but animosity. This is their opinion and they are welcome to it. Too bad it really isn't based on the true issue.

hi pattygirl ,i want to say that i am not against stacy -george thing i think he is 50 and it isn't healthy to be lonely man ,and i think sk have less harm for G cuz she have no legal cocaine case or bung past .but i said TD it might be not oscar worthy cuz i can't see it tops MC ,UITA .i didn't see that movie yet but i will ,and i am very excited to watch actually .

lolo"layla"
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 18 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 14 ... 18  Next