George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George Clooney to make his Broadway debut in a play version of movie ‘Good Night, and Good Luck
Doris Day interview for Doris Day! EmptyToday at 19:19 by benex

» George celebrating his birthday on location in Italy
Doris Day interview for Doris Day! EmptyToday at 02:07 by annemariew

»  George filming new film in UK
Doris Day interview for Doris Day! EmptySat 11 May 2024, 01:04 by annemariew

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
Doris Day interview for Doris Day! EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:41 by annemariew

» George and Amal speaking at the Skoll Foundation conference in Oxford today
Doris Day interview for Doris Day! EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:37 by annemariew

» George in IF
Doris Day interview for Doris Day! EmptyFri 12 Apr 2024, 18:44 by party animal - not!

» Amal announces new law degree sponsorship
Doris Day interview for Doris Day! EmptyFri 05 Apr 2024, 01:51 by annemariew

» George's new project The Department - a series
Doris Day interview for Doris Day! EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

»  Back in the UK
Doris Day interview for Doris Day! EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

Doris Day interview for Doris Day!

+6
LornaDoone
melbert
lelacorb
lucy
pattygirl
Merlin
10 posters

Go down

Doris Day interview for Doris Day! Empty Doris Day interview for Doris Day!

Post by Merlin Thu 01 Sep 2011, 18:05

Thought a few of us as well as Doris might be interested in this.....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/rockandpopfeatures/8733533/Doris-Day-and-Paul-McCartney-in-conversation.html

Doris Day and Paul McCartney in conversation
As the legendary Hollywood star is set to release her first new album in 17 years, Doris Day talks to Paul McCartney about her illustrious career.

Sir Paul McCartney and Doris Day might seem to come from different worlds -- he a giant figure in British pop since the Sixties, she a Hollywood icon with a wholesome image who starred in 39 films. Yet the former Beatle has long been a friend of hers, admiring not only her singing and acting but also her commitment to animal rights.
Now 87, Doris Day is about to release her first album of new material in 17 years. My Heart includes cover versions of the Beach Boys, Lovin Spoonful and Joe Cocker, along with nine brand-new recordings of songs written by her late son, singer and Byrds producer Terry Melcher, who died in 2004.
Day spoke to McCartney at her home in Carmel, California, this year and told him about her new album and illustrious career.
PM I remember ringing you up after watching Calamity Jane in the Sixties to tell you it was the best film and you were the best character.
DD You’re very sweet.
PM My daughter Stella loves that film. She said when she saw you in that yellow dress, that’s what made her want to be a designer. Watching that film, none of us wanted that dress to get messed up when you fell in the mud. And is it true that you didn’t want to sing Secret Love [Oscar winning song in 1954] in the film originally?
DD Yes. It worried me that if I had to sing it in character as Calamity rather than in my voice it might interfere and make it seem so phony. But I was taught to see the difference.
PM With your new album I wasn’t quite sure what to expect because I knew you hadn’t worked in show business for a while as you’ve been looking after your animals. But you seem so perky and I feel that spirit in the album. I think it’s very beautifully sung.
DD It has been a long time. I had a lot of fun doing it and I hope people enjoy it as I enjoyed doing it so much.
PM: I think your fans will go crazy with it. It’s a nice album with beautiful emotions. Is it true when you sing Joe Cocker’s You Are So Beautiful you are singing about the beauty you find in animals?
DD Well I do find the beauty in animals. I find beauty everywhere. I find beauty in my garden.
PM On the album, you’ve included Ohio from [Bernstein’s musical] Wonderful Town. Does it have sentimental value because you grew up there?
DD Of course. All my family lived there. I had a wonderful family including my aunts, uncles and cousins but they’ve all gone to heaven. I’m the only one left so it’s sad for me.
I love Cincinnati and I thought I would stay there until …but all of a sudden, I was zoom, and off to all these different places. That was my life, singing with my band and I’ve loved it ever since.
PM When you’re singing, there’s a lot of emotion in your voice. Is that from your early training with vocal coach Grace Raine?
DD She decided I should have three lessons a week and we couldn’t afford that so she gave me three for the price of one. She was a wonderful lady who had retired from the WLW Radio (a Cincinnati talk radio station). She knew that the words meant so much to me and that’s what she really liked. And they’ve always meant so much to me. I’m singing to someone.
PM That’s great she had such vision to recognise your talent. When you were working with [40s bandleader] Les Brown, what was it like travelling and performing with a bunch of guys at such a young age?
DD I didn’t know much! But they were so marvellous. We had great guys in the band. They were so nice and took care of me, they really did. It was just heaven for me. They were all funny. We laughed all the time and had great fun. Everyone got along. We were a family.
PM That’s so important. We’ve got that with the guys I tour with. We have a laugh and are like a big extended family. It settles everyone down. Everyone knows everyone’s having a good time and it brings out the best in people.
DD You relax and you’re real. That’s what it’s all about. To enjoy what you’re doing for the people. If you’re enjoying it, then they’re enjoying it.
PM You became the armed forces sweetheart [in 1945 with Sentimental Journey]. What was it like for you at that time with the returning soldiers?
DD I loved that song. It made me feel so good to think they were coming home and I loved that.
PM What about Que Sera Sera? It became your signature song and won an Oscar for Best Original Song [in1956]. Why do you think it stood the test of time?”
DD I really don’t know but it was perfect for the movie [The Man Who Knew Too Much]. I often hear from people about that song. They used to sing their children to sleep with it. Isn’t that sweet?
PM I know you’ve been through a lot of difficulties personally, with the loss of your son Terry Melcher in 2004. Did music help you through the hard times?
DD I’m not sure. I miss my Terry every day. But I keep him here and I’m so happy that he’s singing on the album. I used to love to hear him sing and he should have done more things. I get mail from his friends all the time saying he had so much talent and he was always laid back. He didn’t push himself. He was such a good guy and I loved him dearly.
PM I knew Terry a little bit in the Sixties and he was a really nice man. But you were right, he didn’t push himself. I didn’t either though come to think of it. He was a lovely boy. We love him and hopefully he’s looking down on this album saying ‘I’m proud of you mum’
DD That would be the greatest. If he were here now, looking at me and saying that. But I know how he feels and he’s right here.
PM Was there any single moment that made you dedicate your life to helping animals? For me it was when I was in Tennessee once and fishing in a lake. I could see the fish struggling for his life and it was a moment. I thought ‘I don’t need your life’ and I put him back. I haven’t fished since.
DD I’ve just always loved animals. With the band, I couldn’t have any pets then when I went into films and stayed in one place, I could. I’ve had many of them and I still have many.
PM: I know, I’ve been round to your house. Funny how some people think they’re not as important as humans. They don’t realise we’re so privileged to live on this planet with all these beautiful animals.
DD You’re so right. Mine are so sweet. I love helping horses, dogs, every animal.
PM And is it true that on the set of The Man Who Knew Too Much, you demanded from Alfred Hitchcock that the animals on set should be better cared for?
DD I did. Because they weren’t being looked after. They were being used. So I spoke with Hitch about it and he agreed and then they were treated beautifully.
PM And now at the end of every film, there’s a statement saying no animals were harmed making this movie. So you were a pioneer in that, Doris.
DD That’s the way I feel. I just love animals, babies and music.
Merlin
Merlin
More than a little bit enthusiastic about Clooney

Back to top Go down

Doris Day interview for Doris Day! Empty Re: Doris Day interview for Doris Day!

Post by pattygirl Thu 01 Sep 2011, 18:53

Mel, thank you for the Doris Day interview. I have long been a fan of hers, both music and movies, and look forward to her new album. She is one of the best singers of the 40's and 50's.
pattygirl
pattygirl
Achieving total Clooney-dom

Back to top Go down

Post by lucy Thu 01 Sep 2011, 18:56

Merlin once again thanks for posting DD info also looking forward to new album.
lucy
lucy
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 01 Sep 2011, 19:37

Thanks, Merlin! I love her music, too! A very sweet lady!

Last edited by Cinderella on Fri 02 Sep 2011, 03:43; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : changed name from Melbert to Merlin, Sorry Merlin!)

Back to top Go down

Post by lelacorb Thu 01 Sep 2011, 19:51

If a man,he search his mother in a woman, ladys is better escape from him!
lelacorb
lelacorb
Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to Clooney I go!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 01 Sep 2011, 21:58

Hummmm… scratch What's that have to do with Doris Day? Is she looking? Wouldn't she be looking in a different direction? Just wondering…

Back to top Go down

Post by pattygirl Fri 02 Sep 2011, 01:40

Just pre-ordered album through barnes & noble. Can't wait to hear it.
pattygirl
pattygirl

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Fri 02 Sep 2011, 03:41

Sorry girls, it wasn't me that posted. It was our wonderful Merlin! Thanks Merlin!!!!
melbert
melbert
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by LornaDoone Fri 02 Sep 2011, 05:37

Wow, this is weird, I was just thinking about her today and was going to post something tonight about her but then thought "Nah, nobody else probably remembers her."

I'm kinda fascinated that she's releasing a new CD. I mean nothing against her - she has a lovely voice - but at 87 does she have the same strength in her voice? I was going to preview just in case.

And I thought about that "looking the other way" bit too. I read somewhere that her song, "Secret Love" was like a gay anthem in the 50's. Hey, just repeating what I read not making this stuff up. But no, don't have the article I read about that - it was years ago.

But I loved her films especially her work with Rock Hudson. I think "Pillow Talk" is probably my all time favorite of her films. Maybe because the writing is just so damn witty. One line was "Mr. Allen, this may come as a surprise to you, but there are some men who don't end every sentence with a proposition."

And I loved Thelma Ritter's character - Alma - not that I want to encourage non-stop drinking, but she was funny and had some good common sense comments.

Thanks for posting the article.
LornaDoone
LornaDoone

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Fri 02 Sep 2011, 06:46

I think my favourite movie is Calamity Jane...I also love Howard Keel. I feel sorry for the loss of her son....she sounds lonely.
Merlin
Merlin

Back to top Go down

Post by pattygirl Fri 02 Sep 2011, 15:21

Her movies covered all the bases:

Funny - David Niven, all Rock Hudson, James Garner, Cary Grant, Jack Carson

Romantic - Calamity Jane, Pajama Game, On Moonlight Bay,

Dramatic - Man Who Knew Too Much, Ruth Etting Story

Loved they all, can't pick a favorite.
pattygirl
pattygirl

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Fri 02 Sep 2011, 17:55

Off topic.... I was flicking through the channels the other day and there was a cowboy film on with Randolph Scott as the main lead and two other blokes and one looked familiar and I watched it for about 20 minutes and then realised it was a very young James Garner...I used to love the Rockford Files.
Merlin
Merlin

Back to top Go down

Post by pattygirl Fri 02 Sep 2011, 18:37

He's still great today. Did you see him in The Notebook? Great tearjerker. Loved him in Murphy's Law too.
pattygirl
pattygirl

Back to top Go down

Post by doris day Sat 03 Sep 2011, 00:31

THANKS SOOOO MUCH MERLIN!

MAY I REMEMBER TWO MOVIES THAT I LOVED?
PLEASE DONT EAY THE DAISIES WITH DAVID NIVEN AND BLACK LACE WITH REX HARRISON

doris day
Shooting hoops with George Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by pattygirl Sat 03 Sep 2011, 02:29

Couldn't remember that Ruth Etting story was actually called Love Me or Leave Me w/ James Cagney.

Forgot Black Lace.

Loved all her musicals, even when she was just starting out.

Her comedies, w/ Rock Hudson and James Gardner couldn't be beat.

She was an all around great performer. Miss all those musicals of the 40's and 50's. Been watching them on Netflix when they stream.
pattygirl
pattygirl

Back to top Go down

Post by lucy Sat 03 Sep 2011, 02:41

There was a movie she made with Frank Sinatra, she was a woman from a big close family, Frank was a musician/singer, they marry and life is
not easy. Use to watch this movie every time it would play on TV, I was just a kid but remember I loved the story and actors.
Loved Murphys Law, also the notebook when they were young and old.
lucy
lucy
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Sat 03 Sep 2011, 08:29

Lucy...that was Young at Heart... with skinny Frank!

I love musicals....all the old ones...Fred and Ginger, Gene Kelly, Judy Garland, Deanne Durbin and the 'newer' ones South Pacific, West Side Story, Oklahoma.....I love the songs and the dresses...find some of the stories a bit too sentimental now though...
Merlin
Merlin

Back to top Go down

Post by pattygirl Mon 05 Sep 2011, 17:04

Saw "With six you get eggoll" Sunday. Had forgotten that one. Costarred Brian Keith. This was her last film as husband Marty Melcher had signed her to star in a CBS series. He died around time film ended and she found that she was broke as he'd squandered all her money on bad deals. She was her usual funny self.

It's said that they (don't know who) wanted her for "The Graduate" but that Marty refused. Good decision, I think. Can you imagine her as Mrs. Robinson. Yuck!
pattygirl
pattygirl

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Mon 05 Sep 2011, 18:29

And by one of those strange co-incidences...Calamity Jane was on here yesterday....

She seems such a lovely lady but unlucky in love..
Merlin
Merlin

Back to top Go down

Post by pattygirl Mon 05 Sep 2011, 18:32

That was one of my favorites. Especially loved "Secret Love"

Yes, she was unlucky in love, but then isn't that what generally happens in Hollywood Not always, plenty of beautiful, long lasting romances there, but they are far outshadowed and outnumbered by the unlucky.
pattygirl
pattygirl

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Mon 05 Sep 2011, 18:43

wot is "Secret Love"?
a song... a film.....?
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by pattygirl Mon 05 Sep 2011, 18:45

Sorry, it was a beautiful love song in the movie Calamity Jane.
pattygirl
pattygirl

Back to top Go down

Post by cindigirl Mon 05 Sep 2011, 19:41

Washn't she in an Alfred Hitchcock thriller movie? Forget the name, but wasn't she in it with Jimmy Stewart?
cindigirl
cindigirl
Happy Clooney-looney!

Back to top Go down

Post by pattygirl Mon 05 Sep 2011, 19:52

That was The Man Who Knew Much.
pattygirl
pattygirl

Back to top Go down

Post by cindigirl Mon 05 Sep 2011, 20:27

Right - thanks.
cindigirl
cindigirl
Happy Clooney-looney!

Back to top Go down

Post by pattygirl Mon 05 Sep 2011, 20:36

Welcome. Glad to help.
pattygirl
pattygirl

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Mon 05 Sep 2011, 22:53

amazing film cheers
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by pattygirl Mon 05 Sep 2011, 23:04

You bet.
pattygirl
pattygirl

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Mon 05 Sep 2011, 23:06

great woman
that woman

che serà, serà....
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Mon 05 Sep 2011, 23:09

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZbKHDPPrrc
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by pattygirl Mon 05 Sep 2011, 23:13

I think that is sort of her motto. I think that's how she's survived all her ordeals.

Thanks for the great video.
pattygirl
pattygirl

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Mon 05 Sep 2011, 23:41

thanks to you Smile
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by doris day Tue 06 Sep 2011, 00:04

midnight lace was the thriller with rex harrison

doris day
Shooting hoops with George Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Atalante Tue 06 Sep 2011, 00:36

I remember it well : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL87sHjXlVU&feature=related

Some of my braincells like to store great melodies ! cat
Atalante
Atalante
Clooney-love. And they said it wouldn't last

Back to top Go down

Post by pattygirl Mon 03 Oct 2011, 18:59

Just received the new Doris Day CD. Am listening to it now. Great songs, some old favorites lie My One & Only Love, Life Is Just A Bowl Of Cherries, My Buddy, Ohio. There's even one sung be her son Terry Melcher. He wrote the song for her, but when she heard it she said it was his.
Most are never before released recordings. Not really the dynamic DD of years ago, but she still sounds good. Well worth the $$ IMHO.
pattygirl
pattygirl

Back to top Go down

Post by cindigirl Mon 03 Oct 2011, 19:10

Atlanta, thanks SO MUCH for the video. She has a truly beautful voice. My mother apparently liked her too, she named me after her. LOL
cindigirl
cindigirl
Happy Clooney-looney!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down